4.19.2012

Holocaust Remembrance Day




It's today you know. 
And I cannot think about the Holocaust without also remembering my first exposure to it.
Being in second grade and my mother reading to us aloud from this book
All of us huddled around her, laying on and around my parents bed.
Listening to a survivors tale of the concentration camps.
As a child I was both mesmerized and horrified with the kinds of things that happened there. 
And that people stood by and watched it.
I thought surely, at some point in my life, this same thing would happen to us.
That some night our home would be raided and our family dragged away.
I agonized over what few things I would want to bring with me.
And for a while I kept a filled pillow case under my bed, ready for when it did.
Just like Corrie Tenboom did.
And I hoped I would be just as brave, just as faithful, as she had been when the time came.




“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”
― Corrie Ten Boom






3 comments:

  1. Oh this is so sweet! That is a really nice quote and one I needed today. Love you.
    Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished re-reading that book a few weeks ago. Love it still.. so many great lessons to be learned in there.
    I also love the quote. I will put it up on my mirror to remember!
    love and miss you.
    Oh, and I had a special pocket in an apron of mine as a child that I kept equipped for such an occasion, even though I had yet to read the book, I filled it with things to survive in case of a disaster. crackers.. tools, and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww... this was so nice to read! This is still one of my favorite books :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think about that...